Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Chappell Roan gets candid about her severe depression diagnosis

Pop icon Chappell Roan has shared a candid update on her mental health.

Throughout 2024, the beloved talent has catapulted to mainstream superstardom following the release of her stand-alone pop anthem, ‘Good Luck, Babe!’, which was met with acclaim for its unapologetic queerness and themes of compulsory heterosexuality.

Chappell’s 2023 debut album, The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess, subsequently began to climb the worldwide charts; it recently hit number one in the UK, Ireland and New Zealand, and currently sits in the number three spot on the Billboard Hot 200.

Additionally, various tracks from the album have become sleeper hits such as ‘Pink Pony Club’, ‘Red Wine Supernova’ and ‘Hot to Go!’ – especially the latter, which went viral as a result of its music video’s iconic choreography.

While Chappell and her LGBTQIA+ inclusive music has deservedly reached new heights, transitioning from emerging singer-songwriter to full-fledged pop star has been far from easy.

In a recent interview with The Guardian, the ‘California’ singer opened up about struggling with fame and how she was recently diagnosed with severe depression.

“I’m in therapy twice a week. I went to a psychiatrist last week because I was like, I don’t know what’s going on,” she explained.

“She diagnosed me with severe depression – which I didn’t think I had because I’m not actually sad. But I have every symptom of someone who’s severely depressed.”

Chappell went on to attribute her diagnosis to how her life has changed overnight, adding that everything she really loves “comes with baggage” now.

“If I want to go thrifting, I have to book security and prepare myself that this is not going to be normal. Going to the park, pilates, yoga – how do I do this in a safe way where I’m not going to be stalked or harassed,” she told the news outlet.

Because of the increased stress that fame brings, the ‘Picture You’ talent revealed that she sobs every time she walks through the front door, grieving the life she had before her meteoric rise.

“It just comes out of me. I just start sobbing and either being so angry at myself for choosing this path, or grieving how the curiosity and pure wonder I had about the world is somewhat taken away from me,” she added.

Towards the end of her interview, the openly queer talent shared some of the postive aspects of her newfound fame, like having the ability to say no to things, performing in front of packed crowds and elements of “the pop star treatment.” 

Chappell’s recent interview comes a week after she teased her highly anticipated follow up single to ‘Good Luck, Babe!’ with Rolling Stone.

“[The next single] needs to have more grit, whether that means more pop grit or rock grit or just bite to the lyrics,” she said. “Anything that I listen to — Joan Jett, Heart, Gaga — I want to feel like them. So I’ll just be inspired by that feeling and how I can capture it.”

For more Chappell Roan content, click here.

The post Chappell Roan gets candid about her severe depression diagnosis appeared first on GAY TIMES.


Post a Comment

0 Comments