Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Drag performers talk skincare tips and self-care off the stage

To celebrate Garnier’s new limited edition Pride Micellar Water and their Remove Your Makeup, Never Remove Your Pride campaign, we get unready with two of our fave drag acts.

IN PARTNERSHIP WITH GARNIER

It’s Pride month babes, which means that you’re probably hopping from event to event and slapping on the (biodegradable) glitter – without giving a thought to your pores. And while there’s a certain dishevelled chic to waking up in last night’s glam, your skin won’t thank you. Enter: Garnier’s Micellar Water all-in-1, packaged up in a limited edition Pride bottle. Whether for removing makeup or simply cleansing away the dancefloor sweat, this is a definitive Pride essential. 

And the great news is that it gives back, too! Garnier made sure to represent the LGBTQIA+ community throughout the product and campaign development – tapping community members and allies like Blu Hydrangea and Koko Barno for the campaign and devising the iconic “REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP, NEVER YOUR PRIDE” tagline. The brand will also be donating 10p from the sale of each bottle of their limited edition Micellar Water, up to a whopping £80,000, to support LGBT+ young people’s charity Just Like Us, who strive to make education spaces more inclusive by spearheading initiatives like School Diversity Week.

To celebrate the new Garnier Micellar Water Pride bottle and campaign, we tapped two of our favourite drag talents to talk skincare as self-care and to discover what Pride means to them.

Don One

Drag king, singer, host and West End performer Don One can do it all. Part of a new wave of drag kings pushing for visibility in the queer scene, their work is as political as it is entertaining. 

Happy Pride! Introduce yourself to our readers: who are you and what do you do?

I’m Don One and I’m a funny Black drag king off the telly! 

As a performer, how would you describe your practice?

I’m basically a comedian who likes to dress up as a man and entertain people. I’ve always been funny and grew up being constantly misgendered. So, I thought I’d make a career out of it, and I became a drag king. Being a drag king has also helped me to accept my identity as gender nonconforming/non-binary.

What does Pride mean to you? 

Pride is a celebration and a protest. I think it’s important to acknowledge the importance of both aspects. The LGBTQIA+ community knows how to party but ultimately, we’re fighting for liberty and freedom for everyone who is still being persecuted and judged for being who they want to be and loving who they want to love.

How does skincare factor into your self-care? 

The most important thing about skincare for me is that it’s cruelty-free and vegan. I adopted a vegan lifestyle nine years ago and my skin has never looked better than since I’ve been eating a plant-based diet. I also drink lots of water and I exercise regularly. Self-care is important to me. I meditate every day because I’m always looking for ways to stay calm and grounded.

What does makeup mean to you? 

Makeup is completely transformative for me. I never used to wear makeup growing up but doing drag has helped me to realise how much it can enhance your look and the way that you feel about yourself. Some days, I wake up feeling terrible and I can’t imagine myself doing drag. Then I put on my makeup, look at myself in the mirror and think, ’Wow, I look like a proper fit geezer’! My drag face really helps to put me in the zone.

Pixie Polite

Drag performer, vocalist and all-round good time gal Pixie Polite has been on the nation’s radar since appearing in the fourth season of Ru Paul’s Drag Race UK. A fierce fashion queen, self-possessed “camp cow’ and body positivity icon, we all need a sprinkle of pixie dust in our lives. 

Happy Pride! Introduce yourself to our readers: who are you and what do you do?

My name’s Pixie Polite; I’m a live singing cabaret diva with a penchant for scotch eggs, and the politest woman in showbiz.

As a performer, how would you describe your practice?

Performing for me is all about entertaining and giving people a sense of escapism, even with my makeup and looks. There’s nothing like having a sing-song, a dance and a laugh with a glamorous curvaceous woman (AKA me) to bring some sunshine into someone’s day!

What does Pride mean to you?

Pride means a lot of things to me! It can be joyful, political, but at its core it is also human. One of the main things I think makes Pride special is that it brings together people from different walks of life, with different experiences. That inclusivity is important to encourage, not just with gender and sexuality, but also when it comes to race, religion or ability. Those intersectional experiences make each of us unique and contribute to the continuing liberation for all queer people. When we understand one another and work together in that understanding we are truly powerful.

How does skincare factor into your self-care? 

As a drag queen, you wear a lot of makeup! It’s essential to look after your skin because your face is your canvas and your brand! For me looking after myself mentally and physically definitely includes proper skincare, because who doesn’t love a good pamper?

What does makeup mean to you?

Makeup can be so transformative! It’s a way of accessing your inner confidence, being creative, and painting with all the colours of the rainbow! 

The post Drag performers talk skincare tips and self-care off the stage appeared first on GAY TIMES.


Post a Comment

0 Comments